Tag Archives: longevity

How to live to be 100+

Dan Buettner, a National Geographic writer and explorer, has travelled the world to discover the secrets to living a long and happy life.  Dan Buettner teamed up with the National Geographic and the American National Institute on Aging to find areas of the world which demonstrated remarkable longevity so that we can learn from these vitality “hotspots” what the inhabitants of these areas do differently. These areas have been named Blue Zones and have become the subjects of Dan’s two best-selling books, The Blue Zones and Thrive, which uncover the well-being and happiness secrets of these remarkable people.

The Danish Twin Study has demonstrated that only about 10 percent of how long an average person lives is dictated by genes. The other 90 percent is dictated by lifestyle so the Blue Zones study was an attempt to find a formula for the optimal lifestyle for longevity.  It is actually very hard to live to 100+… Read the rest...

The Leading Cause of Death?

This fascinating article from ‘s excellent blog The Psychology of Wellbeing looks at how we can avoid premature death by making positive personal choices.  The choices we make affect our longevity more than we think. The article makes interesting and sobering reading.

Personal Decisions are the Leading Cause of Death

By bitz nibtez via Compfight.

By bitz nibtez via Compfight.

 

Have you ever made one of the following decisions?

Smoked a cigarette.

Drank too much.

Ate too much.

Ate things that were bad for you.

Neglected working out.

Had unsafe sex.

Drove a car without a seatbelt.

Drove a car after drinking.

Drove a car faster than the speed limit.

Used an illegal drug.

If you’re human, you’ve probably done many of the things on this list.  Maybe even all of them (I’m pretty sure I have.)  And yet, you probably acknowledge that these were bad decisions.

But humans tend to be bad at decisions.  We generally have pretty low self-control,… Read the rest...

Mattering never stops mattering whatever your age

This article from The Good Life Blog in Pyschology Today was written by Christopher Peterson, who was a professor of psychology and organizational studies and former director of clinical training.at the University of Michigan.  He held the appointment of Arthur F. Thurnau Professor, in recognition of his contributions to teaching. Peterson was among the 100 most widely cited psychologists in the world. He died at a tragically young age last year and according to all who knew him he mattered a lot to many people.  His book Pursuing the Good Life: 100 Reflections in Positive Psychology which is a compilation of his articles  from The Good Life Blog in Pyschology Today is well worth reading.

How Old Is Old?

Mattering never stops mattering.

 

Published on May 30, 2011 by Christopher Peterson, Ph.D. in The Good Life

I hope I die before I get old.

- “My Generation” by The Who (1965)

I recently led a workshop for mental… Read the rest...

Why do we age and what we can do to avoid it?

If we can be happy at any age is it worthwhile trying to avoid ageing?  Is ageing something we can simply fix? Aubrey de Grey makes an impassioned plea for ending the ageing process. Watch his TED talk and decide if you agree with his provocative stance on ageing.

Aubrey de Grey: A roadmap to end ageing

Posted by Shona Lockhart on 6th May 2013

 

 

 

 

Older people are happier

Want to live to a ripe old age?  Having a positive outlook on life maybe the key to doing just that. The article below from CBS News looks at how optimism can lead to longevity.  The TEDxWomen talk below by psychologist Laura Carstensen shows that not only does being optimistic make you live longer, but research shows that you also become happier and more content as you get older and are likely to have a more positive outlook on the world.  Living to an old age does not mean that your quality of life has to diminish, on the contrary it is likely to increase.  Enjoy the article and the video and let me know what you think.

 

Researchers discover optimism may lead to longevity

The secret to a long life may be something as simple as a sunny disposition.

In a study published in the journal Ageing on May 21, researchers surveyed people who were over the age of 95 and found that most of them had positive personality traits, making them upbeat and relaxed

Read the rest...